The inaugural meeting of the Moreno Appreciation Club (MAC) was held on Tuesday, August 9th, 2011, at Marsh Benham on the River Kennet in the Royal County of Berkshire.
The foundation of this august Club is based on ownership of a Moreno bamboo rod by a Brit!
In attendance were the two founding members, Roger Tribe and Tony Mair, there being only two of Moreno’s babies in the UK at this time.
During a lunchtime sojourn at the nearby ‘The Red House’, it was unanimously agreed (a majority, not being a practical possibility!) that –
- Moreno Borriero be invited to become Life President of the Club.
- Membership will be offered to all new UK owners of a Moreno rod
- All fishing MUST be undertaken during Club events, exclusively and therefore, only,, with a Moreno rod,
- And failure to fish thus, by any member, will result in expulsion from MAC (although, the offer of payment for all victuals and libation on the day may be considered in mitigation, by the Founding Members)
- Lunchtime should always include a ’pint of ale’
Energy was expended during the day in the successful lifting of some good ale to willing lips (as per the Charter), and to the enjoyable consumption of some handsome Red House’ sandwiches and homemade crisps. (Oh!!, and by the way, the also home made, Scotch Eggs a la quail, are truly delicious!!)
And there was some fishing, and the catch, in two gentlemanly sessions of four hours in total, on one of the UK’s classic chalk streams, included -
Roger – two brown trout (one a lovely specimen of 2 ½ lbs)
Tony - two dace, and a chub of 3 ½ lbs (…all of which were quite unwelcome!)
All fish were taken on dry flies, although use of dry flies should not be considered a requirement of the day (informal discussion between the Founders concluded that Halford and Skues both have a point!)
The next meeting of MAC, will be held in the Summer of 2012, and it is hoped that the Life President will be attend. At the same time, it is also hoped that future owners of Moreno’s magnificent wands, will wish to attend….they will certainly be invited if the Life President gets of his ass and sells more of his rods here!!
Here’s to Bamboo…..and here’s to Moreno’s….